Here are 8 tips that I feel will help a small business succeed in handling the “human” aspect of the business.
- Hire slow, fire fast. Select people carefully, fire judicially, but don’t drag it out.
- Know what skills are needed to do the job correctly and hire to those, even if it is a friend.
- Know what laws apply to you, at what company size and prepare for them.
- Set your systems up correctly and ahead of time. Don’t play catch-up later.
- Get a handle on the paperwork right away.
- Don’t think you can ignore the laws just because you are small. Just because nothing bad has happened doesn’t mean you are safe.
- Seek professional advice when you need it. Be cautious with “free” advice.
- Treat your employees with respect and dignity. Nothing will get you into trouble quicker than unhappy employees.
Anything you think should be added?