Rather than answering a question or offering an opinion, I am asking your input on a question. Would you rather work for a woman or a man? And why?
A recent study, published at SHRM, (Women No Better Than Men at Fostering Equality) suggested that women bosses do not do any better in helping women subordinates in terms of pay and opportunities. I will let you read the study yourself rather than detailing the results. What I want to do is ask you to weigh in with your own experience.
- Who was your better boss, the man or the woman?
- Did that depend on your level? Their level?
- Did the higher the boss was in the org chart make a difference?
- Have you personally perceived a difference between the sexes in pay negotiation? Does it make a difference if you are negotiating with a woman or a man?
- Do personal relationships with the boss make a difference? Male vs. female?
- What about age, yours and theirs?
- What if your boss is a former peer? Any difference?
- Who is more concerned with your professional success?
- What else is important in this dynamic?
Please leave a comment and give us some insight to your experience. You can be anonymous.
I know many dynamic and outspoken women in HR so I am hoping to hear from some of them. You gentlemen can weigh in too, but like many men in the article, they remained anonymous, so don’t feel bad if you stay that way too.