I am not here to tell you how to vote. That is a personal decision. However, I did want to point out that the results of the election may have consequences for you as a Human Resources professional. With a change in control of Congress it is possible that the following may occur (good or bad depends on your point of view):
The November 2006 Election:
- An increase in the minimum wage (btw, there are six states that have an increase on their state ballot today)
- Change in the size company that must comply with the Family and Medical Leave Act, from 50 employees to 25
The November 2008 Election:
- Healthcare coverage, going to National Healthcare or required healthcare by employers
- “WalMart” laws
- Change in the composition of the National Labor Relations Board, moving the balance in favor of unionization
- Changes in the make up of the Federal Court system thus altering decisions for many years.
These are just some of the changes that could be made. Who knows what other social employment legislation may be introduced in a more “liberal” Congress.
So if you want to make an impact, in either direction, this is the time you do it. GO VOTE!