I was reading a blog by William Taylor, co-founder of Fast Company on his book Mavricks at Work. He lists the ten points from his book:
1. Is there a distinctive and disruptive sense of purpose that sets you apart from the competition?
2. Can you be provocative without provoking a backlash?
3. If your company went out of business tomorrow, who would miss you and why?
4. Are you the kind of person that other smart people want to work with?
5. Can you make innovation fun?
6. Do you treat different customers differently? .
7. Why should great people join your organization?
8. Do you know a great person when you see one?
9. Does your organization work as distinctively as it competes?
10. Are you learning as fast as the world is changing?
I was struck by the fact that at least 9 of the 10 points, if not all 10, are in reality HUMAN RESOURCES ISSUES. He is not talking about things, machinery, raw materials, etc. He is talking about people and ideas and attracting stars and learning.
This book gives you an idea how IMPORTANT a great HR department can be to a company. Are you an HR MAVERICK? Take a look at this list and blog and book and see where you can make a difference.